Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Home Another Way: An Interview with Christa Parrish...and a Contest!

Don't miss Christa's interview below!
To win a copy of Christa Parrish's Home Another Way leave a comment on this blog by October 17th. Have you ever played a musical instrument or wished that you did? Share your story and you'll be entered to win a copy signed by the author!

When and how did you get the idea for your story?

The idea for Home Another Way came to me one night while I was lying in bed about four years ago. Over the next two years I did very little "writing" with the story, but it grew and developed in my head, changing in different ways as I streamlined the plot.

When do you write?

When I have time, in the minutes and hours here and there. I teach four literature classes to various homeschool groups, and I also home educate my seven-year-old son. Much of my writing is done late at night, when my son is on play dates, or - if I'm feeling inspired - during the day when Jacob is working independently (or if necessary, watching PBS).

How do you write?

Can I say, "I'm a Mac?" Seriously, I write on my iBook, but rarely on a desk. I like to leave my laptop *on* my lap, lounging on the couch or my big chair and ottoman. I also can't write with my back exposed - an odd quirk I have; I need to have my back towards a corner or against couch/chair cushion.

Do you play the violin? Where did you get the musical knowledge in your book from?

I wish! I've wanted to take violin lessons for quite a while, so I'm living vicariously though Sarah. I do love classical music, particularly the Baroque period (if you notice, three of the four pieces mentioned by name in Home Another Way are Baroque), but I did do plenty of research on technique, on reporitoire, on actual instruments, etc. Much of that was done online. Oh, also, if anyone is interested in hearing the pieces I wrote about in the novel, I do have them posted on my blog.

What is your favorite kind of chocolate? Peanut M&Ms?

At the time I started the novel, I was on a Peanut M&M kick. But my favorite chocolate tends to change depending on my mood. I have to admit, I was back to Peanut M&Ms a few months ago, and ate quite a bit on the drive to and from South Dakota (for research on my next novel), but now I'm chocolated out.

What is one thing that you would like to tell unpublished authors?

Can I say two things? One, go to a writers conference, if possible. I think it's a great experience. Two, there's so much advice out there on the non-essentials of writing - when to write, how to set up a writing space, what kind of critique group to join, how to market, etc. For a while, I really beat myself up trying to do things that other published authors told me I needed to do to succeed. It was discouraging. I finally realized that I was unique as a person and unique as a writer; what works for someone else isn't necessarily going to work for me. So, while it's important to continue to develop the "craft" of writing, there is no formula when it comes to the other stuff. Find what works for you and do it.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Gretchen, I play the piano and am so thankful for this gift. I started playing for my church in 1964 at the age of 16, and still play most Sundays. And what a lot of changes I've seen - from the traditional piano & organ to today's worship band, from hymnbooks to Power Point slides to video backgrounds. And it's all good!

Thank you so much for the Home Another Way giveaway. This is my type of book and I'd love to read it.

cjarvis [at] bellsouth [dot] net