Thursday, June 25, 2009

Back Cover Review: Angry Conversations With God: A Snarky But Authentic Spiritual Memoir by Susan E. Isaacs

A Snarky But Authentic Spiritual Memoir...it is Snarky, definitely Snarky. No idea what that means, but this is a definition all by itself. To my surprise, there are a number of people that I wish I could give a copy of this book to. Be warned though, it is not for the easily offended. If you can handle a little tongue in cheek - sometimes angry - honesty about one artist's struggle to understand God and His relationship to her, then by all means, get a copy!

I found myself sometimes relating to Susan. I think if we are willing to admit it many of us have had the same questions that she does about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit - but maybe haven't put so fine a point on it. Especially, out there you know, IN WRITING. I would have to say that I like Joshua Harris and I Kissed Dating Goodbye a whole lot more than she did. In fact, I think it would have helped her alot if she had taken his advice to heart, but some of us do have to find out the hard way and bruise and bloody our heads on those proverbial hard walls a few times for ourselves before we're willing to listen to reason.

All in all, a great book if you can read it with a whole lot of grace and a transparent look at your own heart. Not that I did all that, but I sure tried!

No comments: