Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Back Cover Review: One Imperfect Christmas by Myra Johnson

The Good Stuff:

We all have our ideals for the perfect Christmas – and boy do we take ourselves to our maximum stress high bar to attempt it. Natalie Pearce the heroine of Myra’s novel is no different - and in many ways she is very much like her own mom. When her mom suffers from a stroke and Natalie finds herself suffering from guilt galore everything changes. Will Natalie be able to let go of herself and her ideals and realize the things that are really the most important about the season? Will her mom be able to keep a promise that she made fifty years ago?

One Imperfect Christmas is a heart-wrenching and tender novel of one family’s struggle to come to terms with change and be the better for it. I like to compare a novel to a drink I’ve realized (Sweet Tea, Hot Chocolate, Lemonade…); this one is like a warm bowl of chicken soup (it has some meat to it).
One Imperfect Christmas is a healthy dose of comfort food for the soul.
An excellent “getting in the Christmas spirit” read…or a sweet gift for a friend for that same holiday!

The Minor Details:
I wanted to see the details and time passing fleshed out a little more at the beginning…or else the beginning of the novel started later. The story really seemed to start after a few chapters into it (my apologies because I’m sure Myra did the recommended throw out your first three chapters and I already learned firsthand how painful just doing that is. Even though I’m working to be honest with any person interested in these reviews about the minor weaknesses of these novels, don’t let it deter you from reading this one…

My Take:
I definitely recommend this sweet Christmas book….oh and the closing chapters are heart-touching and life-changing – for Natalie, the main character, and for the reader!

1 comment:

Myra Johnson said...

Gretchen, thank you for featuring my debut novel, and for your honest review. Believe me, the opening chapters went through quite a few changes! The story originally did start much closer to that next Christmas, but my editor asked me to back up a bit and try to show the early struggles Natalie went through.

At any rate, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book and have recommended it to your blog readers. Thank you!!!